Thursday, June 03, 2010

Today in Media Balance

Today's New York Times presents, as an op-ed, Israel's defense of its assault on the Gaza Freedom Flotilla, by Michael Oren, Israel's ambassador to the U.S., and a former scholar at the Shalem Center, a right-wing think-tank in Jerusalem.

But in today's he-said/she-said media culture, you can't just have one viewpoint. So they helpfully offer a second op-ed on the Gaza Flotilla incident by... wait for it... Daniel Gordis, current Senior Vice-President of the Shalem Center, a right-wing think-thank in Jerusalem.

Balance, baby. Balance.

*****

Disclaimers, disclosures and miscellaneous small print:

• I know several of the people who founded and run the Shalem Center; I haven't seen them in years, but I still consider them friends. I've never met Oren or Gordis, however.

• In addition to being a right-wing think-tank, the Shalem Center is also engaged in founding what they plan to be Israel's first liberal arts college. While I understand the ultimately conservative impulse behind this project, and I hope it will have different political effects than they (I'm guessing) think it will, I nevertheless think the college is a really interesting project which could have some very good results, and wish them luck on that endeavor.

No comments: